On January 13, 1984, President Ronald Reagan issued a proclamation declaring the third Sunday in January as National Sanctity of Human Life Day. The date, January 13, 1973, corresponds with the Roe v Wade Supreme Court case that made abortion legal in the United States. In 2014, it will be 41 years since the case passed – meaning an entire generation has lived with the reality of abortion as a legal option for unwanted pregnancies.
By recognizing Sanctity of Human Life Month, Christians affirm that each life is precious, created in God’s image. An unborn child deserves love, protection and the opportunity to grow into the person God intends for him or her to become.
How can your church celebrate the Sanctity of Human Life?
- Commit to praying for an end to abortion. Pray for pregnancy resource centers like PACN, and also for changed hearts for those who work at facilities that provide or refer for abortion.
- Set aside time during your church service on January 19, 2014 to talk to your congregation about Sanctity of Human Life Sunday.
- Help spread the word about Sanctity of Human Life Day via your church’s Facebook page, church newsletter, or include information in your weekly bulletin. You can “Like” PACN’s Facebook page to learn about how we’re celebrating in January! You can also join us on LinkedIn, Pinterest and Twitter for more celebration ideas.
- PACN representatives can give a presentation to help educate your church about the importance of protecting the unborn from abortion, and what you can do now that will make a difference. We can also share information about local resources for women and men, including our free and Confidential Abortion Recovery & Education (CARE) classes.
- Call PACN to learn about volunteer opportunities! Our next Volunteer Training Seminar begins in February 2014. Come join our family of 130+ volunteers who help provide life-affirming services to thousands of women and men each year.